Max Bill. Konstruktion für eine Figur / Japanese Screenprint / 1969
Max Bill was born the 22 December 1908 in Winterthur, Swizterland. After completing an apprenticeship as a silversmith (1924-1927), he studied at the Bauhaus in Dessau underJosef Albers, Wassily Kandinsky, Lazlo Moholy-Nagy, Paul Klee and others.
In 1929, he returned to Zurich where he worked as an architect, painter, graphic designer and sculpture and later as a product designer.
From 1932 to 1936, he was a member of the Paris artists’ group “Abstraction-Création” and developed friendly contacts with Hans Arp, Piet Mondrian and Auguste Herbin. He formulated the “Principles of Concrete Art” during the same year.
In 1937 he worked on the complete monograph of Le Corbusier and joined the association of modern Swiss artists, “Allianz” founded by Leo Leuppi.
He participated in the “Konstruktivisten” exhibition organized by the Kunsthalle of Basel in 1939.
In 1944, he founded the magazine “abstrakt konkret”, organized an exhibition under the same name at Kunsthalle Basel and obtained a post to teach formal structures at the Kunstgewerbeschule in Zurich.
Pursuing the tradition of the Bauhaus, Max Bill designed and founded, with Inge Scholl and Otl Aicher, the Hochschule für Gestaltung in Ulm (1953). He was rector and head of the architecture and product design departments until 1956.
From 1967 to 1974, he held a professorship in environmental design at the Staatliche Hochschule für Bildende Künste in Hamburg.
During the 1980s he created a number of monumental sculptures.
He died in Berlin the 9 December 1994.